This Chorizo Breakfast Tacos with Cilantro Lime Crema recipe is what brunch dreams are made of!
Fluffy, buttery scrambled eggs are combined with Mexican spiced chorizo sausage, then piled onto warmed corn tortillas. They’re best when topped with raw diced onions and cilantro, then sprinkled with cotija cheese and a generous drizzle of my garlicy cilantro lime crema. Yum!
This post includes affiliate links. When I find a product that I love and use daily, I like to share it with my readers. Sometimes I use affiliate links so I can earn commission for my recommendations (at no additional cost to you). Thank you for your support! 🖤
Chorizo Breakfast Tacos with Cilantro Lime Crema Recipe
Tacos might not be the first thing you think of when you think of breakfast/brunch, but I am here to (hopefully) change your mind!
I like to serve the chorizo breakfast tacos with cilantro lime crema family-style. This way, everyone can build their own tacos based on their personal preferences.
And since it’s brunch, anything goes. It’s perfectly acceptable to serve a massive stack of pancakes right next to your taco bar. Speaking from experience, it’s quite a tasty combination. 🌮🥞
This is my favorite, go-to basic pancake recipe in case you were wondering: Good Old-Fashioned Pancakes.
The Story of the Chorizo Breakfast Tacos
Because when there’s a back story to my recipe, it wouldn’t be me if I didn’t share it! I personally love hearing people’s stories, whether it’s in person or by reading their blog. It helps me connect to them when it may not be possible otherwise.
Okay, the tacos…it was Jon’s thirtieth birthday celebration a couple of years ago in Florida. We and our three sets of best couple friends were on a staycation in Tampa, exploring the city on scooters, (which are located all over the city, btw)! I remember Jon chose in advance to go to the casino that night, so I surprised him with this over-the-top casino themed cake (that barely anyone ate).
We had so much fun. 🥲
The morning after, the guys left to find breakfast while us ladies were getting ready for the day. They noticed there was a Mexican corner store within walking distance. I expected them to come back with a bacon egg and cheese or something (it’s the New Yorker in me), but instead they came back with freshly made tacos from the sweet family who owned the place. The tacos were so simple yet so amazing. They had just chorizo, diced onion, chopped cilantro and a squeeze of lime juice on corn tortilla! But they hit the spot.
It’s now Jon and I’s favorite thing to make for brunch on the weekends. Every time we make the tacos, it takes us back to those memories with forever friends who we were forced to move away from (thanks to the military)!
Recently, I made these for a friend here in Washington, but I decided to upgrade the chorizo breakfast tacos a bit by adding eggs, cilantro lime crema, and cotija cheese. She loved them so much; she demanded I publish the recipe so she can make them herself when we no longer live close to each other.
So, here they are!
These tacos have limited ingredients, yet they’re so delicious and flavorful! To make the chorizo breakfast tacos with cilantro lime crema taco recipe, you’ll need:
- Corn Tortillas
- Sour Cream
- Fresh Cilantro
- Lime Juice
- Salt, Pepper, Garlic Powder
In addition to these ingredients, I like to serve crumbled cotija cheese, onions, cilantro, and lime wedges on the side. It makes for the perfect bite!
How To Make Cilantro Lime Crema (Breakfast Taco Sauce)
I love an easy sauce/dressing that can be made in less than a minute, yet packs so much flavor. This cilantro lime crema checks all those boxes!
All you need is a bit of tangy sour cream, a handful of fresh cilantro, freshly squeezed lime juice, and a few seasonings and you’ve got the creamiest, most delicious sauce for your chorizo breakfast tacos (also great as a taco salad dressing).
Place all the ingredients into a small food processor, and pulse for about twenty seconds or until everything is fully combined. At this time, you can stir in a splash or two of milk if you’d like to thin out the sauce a bit (I always do, but it’s up to you).
Chill the cilantro lime crema in the refrigerator to let the flavors meld together while you make the tacos and prepare the rest of the ingredients!
How to Make Chorizo Breakfast Tacos
Chorizo is a spicy, well-seasoned Mexican sausage. To say it’s delicious is an understatement! Hints of spices such as chili powder, coriander, paprika, and oregano make up the flavorful spice blend. I usually buy pre-seasoned chorizo, but you could also try making your own chorizo seasoning if you wish! Add some of the homemade seasoning to ground pork sausage, and you’ll be set.
There is also Spanish chorizo, which is typically smoked, but since we’re not using that in this recipe, I’m not going to get into it! If you’re curious and would like to read more about Mexican and Spanish chorizo, read the super informative epicurious (pun intended) article: “What is Chorizo?”.
Remove the chorizo from the fridge fifteen to twenty minutes before you cook it. I like to cook the chorizo in a cast iron skillet, then reuse it to warm the tortillas. Break up the chorizo in the cast iron with a wooden spoon and brown it over medium/high heat until it’s nice and crispy, and fully cooked through.
The Best Scrambled Eggs
To me, the best scrambled eggs are simple. You don’t need much (just butter and eggs) to get the fluffiest, creamiest scrambled eggs ever. It’s all in the technique!
Years ago, Jon and I were watching one of Gordon Ramsay’s cooking shows (maybe Hell’s Kitchen, I can’t remember) and what he said about scrambled eggs stuck in my brain forever: “on the heat, off the heat, on the heat, off the heat”. Say it aloud in the Gordon Ramsay voice and you’ll never forget it. 😂
I first melt the butter in a non-stick pan over medium/low heat, then stir in the eggs. A rubber spatula works best for this because it easily scrapes the eggs from the bottom of the pan. Continue stirring the eggs, and once you notice the eggs are sticking, remove it from the heat and continue stirring, ensuring any egg stuck on the pan is incorporated in. Repeat the process of bringing the pan on and off the heat while stirring until the eggs are nice and fluffy. They shouldn’t look at all browned or dried (see below)!
Combine the chorizo with the eggs and set this tasty mixture aside while you warm the tortillas. I don’t normally need any extra salt because the chorizo is so flavorful, but you can taste it and see if you want to add a pinch of salt and a crack of black pepper.
How do you heat corn tortillas so they don’t break?
For this chorizo breakfast tacos with cilantro lime crema recipe, I heat the corn tortillas in the same cast iron pan the chorizo was cooked in. Wipe out any of the chorizo crumbs and leave a tiny bit of the grease.
Place the corn tortillas in the pan and warm just until they’re heated through, so they don’t break. If you leave them on the heat for too long, they will get crispy and break easily.
You’ll know when the corn tortillas are ready to be flipped, because they’ll easily lift from the pan. It takes about a minute on each side for them to be warmed through.
You can also heat them wrapped in a paper towel in the microwave for twenty seconds or so. They’ll be extra soft this way; however, I personally prefer the added texture you get when heating them in the cast iron!
Assembling the Chorizo Breakfast Tacos
Now all that’s left to do is dice an onion, chop cilantro, cut some lime wedges, and crumble cotija cheese. For a nice presentation, I like to serve chorizo breakfast tacos with cilantro lime crema on a pretty platter. Everything in separate bowls.
Perfect for all your Springtime brunches, taco Tuesday, Cinco de Mayo, or whenever you need some good breakfast tacos in your life! I hope you and whoever you may be sharing these with, love them as much as we do.
As always, I’d love to hear from you all! About your experience with this dish, any alterations you may have made and loved (or didn’t love), or just life and cooking in general. Please leave a review/comment/question below, reach out via email (email@example.com), and/or stay connected with me on social media, which I have linked below!
MORE BRUNCH INSPIRATION:
Chorizo Breakfast Tacos with Cilantro Lime Crema.
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 8 tacos 1x
Chorizo Breakfast Tacos with Cilantro Lime Crema – perfect for brunch! Seasoned ground pork sausage and fluffy scrambled eggs are piled onto corn tortillas and served with toppings like onion, cilantro, and cotija cheese.
CHORIZO BREAKFAST TACOS:
- 1/2 pound chorizo ground sausage
- 2 tablespoons salted butter
- 4 large eggs
- 8 tortillas (I like to use corn for this recipe)
CILANTRO LIME CREMA
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/3 cup (a handful of) cilantro, stems removed
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- a splash of milk (optional to thin out the sauce)
- 1/4 cup cotija cheese, crumbled
- half of a yellow onion, small dice
- handful of cilantro, roughly chopped
- lime wedges
- MAKE THE CILANTRO LIME CREMA. In a food processor, combine the sour cream, cilantro, lime juice, and seasonings. Blend for about 20 seconds. You can stir in a splash of milk if you prefer a thinner sauce (I do). Refrigerate until you’re ready to serve!
- BROWN THE CHORIZO. Remove the chorizo from the fridge 15 to 20 minutes before you cook it. I like to cook the chorizo in a cast iron skillet (then reuse the pan to warm the tortillas). Break up the chorizo in the cast iron with a wooden spoon and brown it over medium/high heat until it’s nice and crispy, and fully cooked through. Transfer the chorizo to a bowl and set the cast iron aside to use again soon.
- MAKE THE EGGS THEN COMBINE. I first melt the butter in a non-stick pan over medium/low heat, then stir in the eggs. A rubber spatula works best for this because it easily scrapes the eggs from the bottom of the pan. Continue stirring the eggs, and once you notice the eggs are forming together/sticking to the bottom of the pan (see below), remove it from the heat. Repeat the process of bringing the pan on and off the heat while stirring until the eggs are nice and fluffy. They shouldn’t look at all browned or dried. Combine the chorizo with the eggs and set it aside while you warm the tortillas. I don’t normally need any extra salt because the chorizo is so flavorful, but you can taste it and see if you want to add a pinch of salt and a crack of black pepper!
- WARM THE TORTILLAS. I heat the corn tortillas in the same cast iron pan the chorizo was cooked in. Wipe out any of the chorizo crumbs and leave a tiny bit of the grease. Place the corn tortillas in the pan and warm just until they’re heated through, so they don’t break. If you leave them on the heat for too long, they will get crispy and break easily. You’ll know when the corn tortillas are ready to be flipped, because they’ll easily lift from the pan. It takes about a minute on each side for them to be warmed through. You can also heat them wrapped in a paper towel in the microwave for 20 seconds or so if you prefer a soft texture.
- ASSEMBLE THE CHORIZO BREAKFAST TACOS WITH CILANTRO LIME CREMA. Now, prepare the additional toppings (dice the onion, chop the cilantro, cut some lime wedges, and crumble the cotija cheese). For a nice presentation, I like to serve chorizo breakfast tacos with cilantro lime crema on a pretty platter with everything in separate bowls. Now everyone can build their own tacos. Enjoy!!!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: 30 Minutes or Less, Main Dishes, Breakfast and Brunch
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Mexican
Keywords: Chorizo Breakfast Tacos, Cilantro Lime Crema, Chorizo Breakfast Tacos with Cilantro Lime Crema, Best Breakfast Tacos, Mexican Breakfast Tacos, Breakfast Tacos Ideas, Breakfast Tacos Ingredients, Breakfast Tacos Recipe, Chorizo, Chorizo and Eggs, Chorizo Recipe, Chorizo Sausage, Mexican Chorizo, Breakfast Taco Bar, Mexican Breakfast Tacos Recipes, Simple Breakfast Tacos Recipes, Authentic Mexican Breakfast Tacos, Breakfast Egg Tacos, Scrambled Egg Taco, Mexican Egg Taco, Easy Brunch Menu, Brunch Ideas, Brunch Menu, Breakfast Taco Recipe, Mexican Breakfast Tacos, Breakfast Taco Sauce
20 thoughts on “Chorizo Breakfast Tacos with Cilantro Lime Crema.”
THESE ARE AMAZING FOR BRUNCH!!!
If you haven’t made these you are missing out.
I’m so glad you loved them, Megan!!! 😊
These sound amazing! I can’t wait to try them! Your pictures are beautiful as usual too! The back story was so happy and sad! It’s terrible having to leave friends and mothers of course . Love you honey ❤️
I love you too Mommy 🖤
This combines my two favorite types of food: breakfast & Mexican cuisine! I’ll be trying this for sure. 🙂
That’s great to hear, Ashley! I hope you love the recipe. 😁
I know it’s for brunch but I’m making this tonight for reals!
I hope you enjoy the recipe, Jaz! Thanks so much for giving it a try.
I’ll bet this is a really delicious way to start the day!
Yes they are, Hannah! 😊
My mouth has been watering the entire time! I can’t wait to try these out.
Thank you so much, Olivia! I hope you love the recipe.
Looks so amazing!! Need to make asap!
I think you’ll love them, Deanna! 😊
Love chorizo, Thanks for this recipe- I’m going to try it out!
Hi Lani! I hope you enjoy the recipe. Thanks for stopping by! 😊
Your recipes looks amazing,
For more visitors to your food blog you can use http://www.yummyrecipe.co site.Similar to FoodGawker
Registration is completely free, after completing the registration process, members can add their recipes to the site. Recipes on the site lead directly to the full recipe on the site where they are posted. All the details of the recipe do not need to be included.
Thank you so much! 😊
Your breakfast chorizo is on fire. Looks so delicious. Love a good taco for breakfast. I make them every week, and will definitely be trying your recipe. Thanks for sharing.
Thank you so much, Kevin! I agree, tacos for breakfast are the best. I hope you enjoy my recipe! 😊