Roasted Tomato Basil and Red Pepper Soup with Cheesy Garlic Bread is the perfect healthyish recipe to make on a chilly day. Roasting the tomatoes, red bell peppers, garlic, and onion, along with the addition of fresh basil, gives this soup an amazing depth of flavor. Ditch the heavy cream and see how a simple roux can help to create a beautiful silkiness, along with a fantastic nutty flavor.
This recipe can easily be made vegetarian by using vegetable broth instead of chicken broth.
This post includes affiliate links. When I find a product that I love and use daily, I like to share it with my readers. Sometimes I use affiliate links so I can earn commission for my recommendations. Thank you for your support!
Ahhh, soup weather!!!
I feel like it’s been so long since I could say that! We lived on the Gulf Coast of Florida for four years; and with how soupy it was outdoors (humidity off the charts), soup wasn’t always in the forefront of our food cravings. Since moving to Washington State in September, I need all the soup and warm dishes I can get because it’s freakin’ COLD and rainy. Send help, warmth, and prayers for these Floridians attempting to adapt to our new climate!
Although I would love to make this Roasted Tomato Basil and Red Pepper Soup with Cheesy Garlic Bread. right this moment, unfortunately it’s not a possibility, as we are still in a hotel on the military base. There is a small kitchen in the hotel room which I am thankful for; however, there is no oven, and no oven = no roasted vegetables or homemade cheesy garlic bread. I may just have to make this as soon as we move into our new home in a few weeks.
Update: We’re all moved in, and I made this soup tonight! It’s in the twenties (Fahrenheit), so it was thoroughly needed and enjoyed. Freezing the rest for a rainy day.
How to Make the Best Roasted Tomato Basil and Red Pepper Soup Recipe
Tomato Soup with Fresh Tomatoes
A great Roasted Tomato Basil and Red Pepper Soup recipe must start with tasty tomatoes. In North America, certain fruits and vegetables aren’t in season year-round; tomatoes being one of them. Their peak season is May through October. So, what do you do if you get a sudden craving for a warm, comforting bowl of tomato soup during the other six months out of the year? Toby Amidor, a registered dietitian, explains all about freezing tomatoes, greenhouse tomatoes and more in this helpful Food Network article; In Season: Tomatoes.
Healthy Roasted Vegetables in the Oven
Not only do I love the flavor that comes from roasting vegetables, but the smell that fills the kitchen within minutes is HEAVENLY.
Depending on their size, halve or quarter the tomatoes, lightly smash and peel the garlic cloves, halve, peel, then quarter the onion, and halve the bell peppers and remove the membranes and seeds (you can remove the stems as well, although mine are still on in the pictures below).
The vegetables are tossed with a blend of oil and seasonings, then roasted for maximum flavor. You can combine the seasoned oil mixture with the vegetables in a large bowl then transfer to the baking sheet, or just use your hands and toss them together directly on the sheet pan!
Best Oil for Roasting Vegetables – Cooking Oils and Smoke Points
If you’re wondering what kind of oil to use for your roasted vegetables; take a look at this article, Cooking Oils and Smoke Points: What to Know and How to Choose the Right Cooking Oil, and bookmark it for later. It offers tons of useful information, and even a chart of oil smoke points for convenience.
I used avocado oil for this recipe as it has a high smoke point and is a healthy choice. 😊
Preparing the Cheesy Garlic Bread Recipe
This is the way I’ve always made garlic bread with cheese, and it comes out good every time. Some people make compound butter by combining softened butter, garlic and parsley then spread it on the bread which is also delicious (it’s garlic bread, how could it not be)? However, I love the added flavor you get from infusing melted butter with the fresh flavors of parsley and garlic. Either way, you can’t go wrong.
Melt four tablespoons of butter over medium heat, then add the minced garlic and parsley and steep for about five minutes over low heat. Drizzle the garlic butter over the bread and use a rubber spatula to evenly distribute the ingredients. For convenience, I used a prebaked multigrain baguette from the bakery, but you can use any bread you want or have on hand.
Top each side of the bread with cheese and set it aside on a piece of parchment paper.
How to Make a Roux
A roux is a cooked mixture of equal parts flour and fat. There are several categories of roux: light roux (white and blonde roux), brown roux and dark roux. We’re going to make a light roux for this Roasted Tomato Basil and Red Pepper Soup with Cheesy Garlic Bread. I like a slightly thick tomato soup, and the roux helps me achieve that. You can leave it out if you wish. 😊
- Melt four tablespoons of butter in saucepan over medium-low heat. Then sprinkle in the quarter cup of flour.
- Using a whisk or wooden spoon, stir the butter and flour constantly for three to five minutes, or until the mixture bubbles and becomes puffy/frothy.
Finishing the Roasted Tomato Basil and Red Pepper Soup with Cheesy Garlic Bread
It’s almost time to enjoy a piping hot bowl of Roasted Tomato Basil and Red Pepper Soup! Take those beautifully roasted vegetables out of the oven, add them to the roux along with the chicken or vegetable broth, basil, and red pepper flakes if you’re feelin’ spicyyy! 🌶️
Simmer your soup for thirty minutes. By this time, the neighbors may be knocking on the door asking what you’re cooking and offering crazy things to get their hands on it. It smells that good! 😋
Preheat your oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit (192 degrees Celsius) and bake the cheesy garlic bread in the preheated oven for fifteen minutes, or until the cheese is melted.
Blend your soup directly in the pot using a hand blender (thank you to my husband for getting me this one for my birthday 😘), or let the soup cool a bit and transfer it to a standing blender. Blend until smooth and creamy, top with fresh sliced basil and parmesan if desired, and voilà!
We’re done. We did it! I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we do. 💚💙
MORE RECIPES YOU MAY LIKE:
Nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
LOVE COFFEE AND HEALTHY SUPPLEMENTS?
These are my favorite companies. 🖤
- Whole Latte Love: My go-to company for everything coffee brewing: espresso machines, coffee makers, coffee, accessories and more. Crema Wave Whole Bean Espresso (with sweet notes of honey and almond) brewed in the Gaggia Magenta Prestige Super-Automatic Espresso Machine is my absolute favorite.
- Chagaccino Superfood Coffee Boost – Chagaccino is a mushroom-based mocha that transforms my morning coffee into a sugar-free, vegan, keto-friendly latte. It’s anti-aging and immunity boosting, helps relieve stress, elevates endurance, and benefits cognitive function. I even have my mushroom-hating husband hooked! OBSESSED!
- Current Chagaccino Promotions and Discounts: Use code HEAVENLYSPICED for 10% off! | Free shipping on orders of two Chagaccino boxes or more.
Check out my Favorite Things List for kitchen and cooking essentials, beauty products, and more!Print
Tomatoes, red bell peppers (key!), fresh garlic, and onion is roasted then combined with a few other ingredients before blending. Fresh garlic and parsley infused melted butter is drizzled on a multigrain baguette, topped with cheese, and baked until golden brown. Think classic combination, but with tons more flavor!
Roasted Tomato Basil and Red Pepper Soup:
- 2 pounds tomatoes (plum, roma, vine ripe – whatever is freshest), halved or quartered depending on size
- 2 red bell peppers, halved lengthwise – seeds, stems, and membranes discarded
- 1 medium yellow onion, halved, then cut into thirds and separated
- 6–8 cloves fresh garlic (depending on size), lightly smashed then peeled
- 1/4 cup avocado oil
- 3 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 – 1 1/2 teaspoon(s) fine sea salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes, optional but recommended if you like a little spice
- 0.5 ounce container fresh basil leaves, stems removed and leaves torn
- Shaved or grated fresh parmesan cheese (optional)
Cheesy Garlic Bread:
- 12-inch baguette (I used multigrain from the bakery)
- 4 tablespoons salted butter
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley, minced
- 6 garlic cloves, minced (about 1 tablespoon full)
- 3–4 slices cheese (muenster, gruyere, mozzarella, colby jack, etc.), halved
- pinch of salt + freshly cracked black pepper
- ROAST THE VEGETABLES. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (218 degrees C.) Place the prepared tomatoes, red bell peppers, onion, and garlic on a sheet pan. You can line the pan with parchment paper for easier cleanup, but that is optional. Whisk together the avocado oil, black pepper, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and Italian seasoning. Drizzle the seasoned oil over the vegetables and toss until everything is evenly coated (I use my hands.) If you prefer, you can add the vegetables to a large mixing bowl and toss the oil mixture with the vegetables that way, then transfer to the sheet pan. Roast in the preheated oven for 40 minutes. Halfway through the cooking process, mix the vegetables around a bit so they can get nicely roasted all over.
- PREPARE THE CHEESY GARLIC BREAD. In a small pan, melt the butter over medium-low heat. Add parsley and garlic and allow the flavors to infuse for about 5 minutes. Slice the baguette in half lengthwise. Drizzle melted butter mixture over the bread and use a rubber spatula to evenly distribute it. Top with halved cheese slices and set aside (side by side) on a sheet of parchment paper.
- MAKE THE ROUX. When the vegetables are almost done roasting, add 4 tablespoons of butter to a pot (I used an 8-quart stockpot). Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium-low heat. Then sprinkle in the flour. Using a whisk or wooden spoon, stir the butter and flour constantly for 3-5 minutes, or until the mixture bubbles and becomes puffy/frothy.
- COMBINE AND SIMMER SOUP INGREDIENTS. Pour in the vegetable or chicken broth a little bit at a time, whisking and combining between each addition. Add the roasted vegetables with their juices and give it a nice stir, smashing the vegetables to break them down a bit. Tear the basil leaves in half and add them to the pot. Add red pepper flakes if using. Turn the heat to medium-high and allow the soup to come to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for 30 minutes.
- BAKE THE CHEESY GARLIC BREAD. When the soup hits the 15-minute mark, preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit (192 degrees Celsius). Place the parchment paper with garlic bread onto a sheet pan and bake for 15 minutes.
- BLEND & SALT THE SOUP. After 30 minutes of simmering, add 1/2 teaspoon of salt to the soup then blend until smooth using an immersion blender, or transfer to a stand blender. Taste the soup and check to see if it’s your preferred saltiness. Add another 1/2 teaspoon if you think it needs it (my husband + I prefer the extra salt.)
- GARNISH. Top with shaved or grated parmesan and thinly sliced fresh basil; optional!
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Category: Main Dishes, Vegetarian, Soups
- Method: Stovetop, Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Tomato and Red Pepper Soup, Roasted Red Pepper and Tomato Soup, Tomato Basil Soup, Tomato Basil Soup Recipe, Tomato Soup Recipe Basil, Tomato Soup from Scratch, Fresh Tomato Soup, Tomato Soup Recipes, Roasted Tomato Soup, Roasted Tomato Basil Soup, Best Tomato Soup Recipe, Tomato Soup Recipe Easy, Creamy Tomato Soup, Tomato Soup with Fresh Tomatoes, Tomato Soup Ingredients, How to Make Tomato Soup, Homemade Cheesy Garlic Bread, Easy Cheesy Garlic Bread, Garlic Bread Recipe, Garlic Bread with Cheese Recipe, How to Make Garlic Bread with Cheese, Vegetarian, Vegetarian Dinners, Healthy Weeknight Dinners, Healthy Dinners, Healthy, Quick and Easy Dinners, Roasted Red Pepper Soup, Tomato and Roasted Red Pepper Soup Recipe, Roasted Red Pepper and Tomato Soup with Basil, Healthy Roasted Red Pepper and Tomato Soup, Easy Soup Recipes, Best Soup Recipes, Vegetarian Soup Recipes, Light Soup Recipes, Winter Soup Recipes, Summer Soup Recipes, Healthy Soup Recipes, Summer Soup Recipes, Comforting Soup Recipes, Soup Recipes, Homemade Tomato Soup, Lazy Dinners, Lazy Summer Meals, Quick Easy Healthy Meals, Summer Recipes Healthy, Summer Recipes Easy, Summer Recipes 2022, Top 10 Summer Recipes, Easy Summer Dinners, Lazy Summer Dinner Ideas, Summer Weeknight Dinners, Easy Summer Dinner Recipes for Family, Summer Dinner Party Menu, Summer Dinner Ideas Kid Friendly, Summer Dinner Ideas for Hot Days