These Caprese Turkey Burgers with Basil Vinaigrette are simple to prepare, come together quickly, and are SO flavorful. It’s a twist on the classic caprese trio (basil, tomato, and mozzarella cheese), and I’m quite confident this recipe will become a part of your regular rotation!
Not a fan of caprese? Give the turkey burger recipe itself a try and add your favorite ingredients. You won’t be disappointed. 😊
This post includes affiliate links. When I find a product that I love and use daily, I like to share it with my readers. Sometimes I use affiliate links so I can earn commission for my recommendations. Thank you for your support! 🖤
Caprese Turkey Burgers with Basil Vinaigrette Recipe.
I need all the easy and healthy recipes I can get right now. Getting caught up in the excitement and stresses of life sometimes alters good eating habits, and I’ve had my fair share in 2021. Starting a business, a military PCS (cross-country road trip from Florida to Washington State), selling and buying a house, living in a hotel for months, welcoming the first baby into our family (my niece); just to name a handful. I’m incredibly grateful and certainly not complaining; however, so many major life events at once tend to be a bit distracting.
It’s 2022; I am so ready to create, grow, learn, and thrive. This quick and easy Caprese Turkey Burgers with Basil Vinaigrette recipe will be in my regular rotation to help me do just that. I hope it’s added to yours, too!
How to Make the Best Simple and Juicy Turkey Burger Recipe
The best turkey burgers must be moist and juicy and seasoned to perfection. The combination of panko breadcrumbs, grated onion, garlic, Worcestershire, red pepper flakes, and of course, salt + pepper deliver just that. The grated (or blended) onion is my secret to keeping the turkey burgers from drying out, and it adds so much flavor throughout the entire burger!
Preparing these turkey burgers is almost too easy. Toss the above-mentioned ingredients into a bowl along with ground turkey, mix by hand or in your stand mixer, and divide into four even patties (be sure not to overmix). Next, give the turkey burgers cute little dimples using your thumb, as pictured below. This helps the patties cook evenly and hold their shape, rather than seizing up and looking like a meatball.
After the dimples are created, chill the turkey burgers in the freezer for about 20-30 minutes. This helps them firm up a bit and makes for a really good turkey burger!
Preparing the Basil Vinaigrette
Another super simple component to my Caprese Turkey Burger with Basil Vinaigrette recipe: the basil vinaigrette. For this recipe, I like a thick vinaigrette with extra basil, so it spreads nicely on the bun.
Bright, fresh, and acidic; this savory basil vinaigrette is the turkey burger’s match made in Heaven. All you need to achieve this (besides a small food processor) is:
- Fresh Basil
- Red Wine Vinegar
- Pinch of Red Pepper Flakes
- Salt + Pepper
…chef’s kiss. 💋
Not only amazing on turkey burgers; this basil vinaigrette is equally as fantastic on eggs, chicken, fish, steak, potatoes, salads, etc. Let’s just say, I put it on anything and everything. 😜
Cooking and Assembling the Caprese Turkey Burgers with Basil Vinaigrette
If you’re using a grill pan or cast iron, heat the pan over medium heat for a few minutes, then add the oil and heat for another minute or so. If you put the turkey burgers in the pan and you don’t hear a sizzle, your pan is not hot enough. Cook the turkey burgers for about four minutes on one side without flipping them. I know it’s tempting to want to check them, but just trust me. You don’t want your burgers to come out tough and dry!
Flip the turkey burgers and top with sliced fresh mozzarella cheese. Since it doesn’t melt as easily as some other cheeses, it’s helpful to add a tiny splash of water to the pan to create steam. Be sure to cover it instantly and completely to avoid grease splattering all over the place (may or may not be speaking from experience). 🙃
Ground turkey needs to reach an internal temperature of 165 degrees Fahrenheit. I suggest using a meat thermometer and removing the turkey burgers from the pan once they reach 160 degrees Fahrenheit, then setting them aside to rest for five minutes. Resting the burgers will allow them to continue to cook to 165 degrees and will also hold all those delicious juices inside the patty.
- Toast the buns in the same pan that was used to cook your turkey burgers (optional).
- Slice your tomatoes.
- Top the burgers with basil vinaigrette.
For a quick, easy, and complete dinner; I like to pair these Caprese Turkey Burgers with Basil Vinaigrette with sweet potato/regular fries, or a side salad. 🥗
As always, I’d love to hear from you all! About your experience with this dish, any alterations you may have made and loved (or didn’t love), or just life and cooking in general. Please leave a review/comment/question below, reach out via email, and/or stay connected with me on social media, which I have linked below. Take care! – Jenna 🖤
MORE RECIPE INSPIRATION:
Lamb Kofta Wraps with Cucumber Radish Salad [and Creamy Feta-Yogurt Sauce].Print
Perfectly seasoned turkey burgers are accompanied by a bright and flavorful basil vinaigrette, sliced tomatoes, and creamy fresh mozzarella cheese. A dynamic trio all wrapped into one tasty caprese turkey burger recipe!
- 1 pound ground turkey (I use 93% lean, 7% fat)
- 2 tablespoons panko breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon yellow onion, grated or blended in food processor
- 1 tablespoon worcestershire
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 3/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons grapeseed or avocado oil
- 4 ounces fresh basil leaves, stems removed
- 2 teaspoons capers
- 1 small shallot, roughly chopped
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- FORM THE TURKEY BURGERS. Combine all ingredients for the turkey burgers in a large bowl. Be sure not to over mix. Form the burgers into 4 equal patties, dimple each burger (see more on this in the post above), and place in the freezer while you make the basil vinaigrette; about 30 minutes.
- PREPARE THE BASIL VINAIGRETTE. Toss all ingredients into a food processor and blend for about a minute, or until all ingredients are well combined. Cool in the fridge until you’re ready to serve.
- COOK THE TURKEY BURGERS. Heat a grill pan or cast iron on medium heat for a few minutes, then add the oil and heat for another minute. Sear the turkey burgers in the hot pan for 4 to 5 minutes until a golden-brown crust is formed, flip, top with mozzarella cheese, and cook until the turkey burgers reach an internal temperature of 160° F (74°C); about 5 minutes. Set the turkey burgers aside to rest for another five minutes. This allows the turkey burgers to continue cooking until they reach the proper temperature of 165°F (74°C) and ensures all those delicious juices are redistributed throughout the burger for maximum juiciness.
- TOAST THE BUNS AND ASSEMBLE. This is optional, but for a little added warmth and flavor, I like to toast the buns in the same pan in which the turkey burgers were cooked. Top burgers with sliced tomato and a hefty spoonful of basil vinaigrette and enjoy!
If you splash a little water in the center of the pan after flipping the turkey burgers, this will create steam, helping the mozzarella cheese melt faster.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Simple Turkey Burger Recipe, Best Turkey Burger Recipe, Juicy Turkey Burger Recipe, Healthy Turkey Burger Recipe, Easy Turkey Burger Recipe, Turkey Burger Recipe No Egg, Caprese, Basil Vinaigrette Recipe, Easy Healthy Dinner Ideas, Healthy Main Meals, Healthy Meals for the Week, Weekly Dinner Ideas, Weeknight Recipes, Dinner Ideas, Easy Dinner Recipes, Weeknight Dinners Healthy, Healthy Dinner Recipes, Quick Easy Healthy Meals, Spring Recipes, Spring Recipes Vegetarian, Spring Recipes Healthy, Spring Recipes Easy, Spring Vegetables Recipe, Lazy Dinners, Lazy Summer Meals, Quick Easy Healthy Meals, Summer Recipes Healthy, Summer Recipes Easy, Summer Recipes 2022, Top 10 Summer Recipes, Easy Summer Dinners, Lazy Summer Dinner Ideas, Summer Weeknight Dinners, Easy Summer Dinner Recipes for Family, Summer Dinner Party Menu, Summer Dinner Ideas Kid Friendly, Summer Dinner Ideas for Hot Days