Broccoli Pomegranate Salad is a delicious and antioxidant packed vegetarian side dish! All you need is ten minutes and a handful of simple ingredients.
Juicy pomegranate seeds, nutty walnuts, and spicy red onion are tossed with raw (or try roasted) broccoli and a vinegary and creamy honey mustard dressing. The dressing can be made vegan with agave instead of honey, and vegan mayonnaise.
This salad recipe is perfect for picnics, parties, barbecues, and holiday get togethers! 🥦
This post includes affiliate links. When I find a product that I love and use daily, I like to share it with my readers. Sometimes I use affiliate links so I can earn commission for my recommendations (at no additional cost to you). Thank you for your support! 🖤
Everyone brings hot sides during the holidays. Well, this year we’re going to be the sunflower in a field of roses. We’re bringing a unique balance to the table this Thanksgiving, Christmas (or whichever holiday you’ll be celebrating) with this super flavorful broccoli salad recipe. It’s served cold, and there is no cooking involved, which makes it the perfect make ahead side dish to save you some time on a busy day full of cooking.
Jon and I absolutely love it and have made it many times. We were just having a conversation about my broccoli salad recipe, and I was thinking…didn’t he come up with the idea to add pomegranate seeds? Neither of us fully remember; however, I did want to give credit where credit is due (if applicable). 😉🖤
Easy Broccoli Pomegranate Salad Recipe
Juicy pomegranate seeds, nutty walnuts, and spicy red onion are tossed with raw raw (or roasted) broccoli and a vinegary and creamy honey mustard dressing. The dressing can be made vegan with agave instead of honey, and vegan mayonnaise!
A lot of broccoli salad recipes call for bacon, but this one doesn’t even need it. Many also call for dried cranberries; however, I’m not a huge fan of dried fruit (I love the taste but hate it getting stuck in my teeth – same with candy). In this recipe, the fresh pomegranate seeds replace the dried cranberries, adding a nice crunch and a pop of delicious sweet and sour juice!
In Season Fruits and Vegetables
It’s the perfect time of year for this recipe because it is smack-dab in the middle of harvesting season for pomegranates, which is important if you want fresher, tastier and more nutritious produce.
Although broccoli and walnuts are available year-round in the grocery store, they do have a period when they are at their peak freshness (broccoli October-April, and walnuts: September-November). Not only are these ingredients tastier during their peak season, but it’s also an impactful way to eat more sustainably!
Best Ever Simple Broccoli Salad Dressing
This healthy broccoli salad dressing is the best ever because it’s so flavorful (sweet, tangy, creamy, a little spicy) and made with ingredients you may already have in your pantry. Those ingredients are:
- Sour Cream
- Apple Cider Vinegar
- Salt & Pepper
- Garlic Powder
In a small food processor (or by whisking), mix the dressing ingredients until well combined.
Place the broccoli, pomegranate seeds, chopped walnuts, and red onion in a mixing bowl. Pour the dressing over and give it a good toss. It’s the perfect amount of dressing because nobody likes an overdressed salad!
And there you have it! I hope you and your family enjoy this Broccoli Pomegranate Salad Recipe as much as we do!
As always, I’d love to hear from you all! About your experience with this dish, any alterations you may have made and loved (or didn’t love), or just life and cooking in general. Please leave a review/comment/question below, reach out via email, and/or stay connected with me on social media, which I have linked below. Take care! – Jenna 🖤
MORE SIDE DISH INSPIRATION:
Juicy pomegranates seeds, nutty walnuts, spicy red onion, vinegary and creamy homemade honey mustard dressing (which can be made vegan with vegan mayo), and of course, broccoli, make for the perfect easy, healthy, vegetarian side dish!
- 18 ounces broccoli florets
- 1/2 cup red onion, diced
- 1/4 cup pomegranate seeds
- 1/4 cup walnuts, chopped
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise (vegan mayo works too – I use avocado oil Mayo)
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup mustard (such as stone ground, deli, or Dijon)
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- PREPARE THE SALAD INGREDIENTS. Cut broccoli into bite-size pieces, dice the red onion, chop the walnuts, and gather the pomegranate seeds. Place it all in a mixing bowl.
- MAKE THE HONEY MUSTARD BROCCOLI SALAD DRESSING. In a food processor (or by whisking), fully combine the remaining ingredients to make the honey mustard dressing.
- COMBINE AND SERVE OR REFRIGERATE OVERNIGHT. Toss the broccoli salad dressing with the other ingredients. You can serve the broccoli salad immediately, chill it in the fridge until dinner, or chill it overnight to bring to your gathering the next day! I hope you and your friends/family enjoy this recipe and Happy Holidays to you!
- If you’re serving a crowd, you may want to double or triple the recipe depending on the party size and/or the number of dishes being served. You can easily scale the recipe up and down (1x, 2x, 3x) using the tool above!
- If you’re using a whole pomegranate, see my video above, and/or check out this article: How to Cut a Pomegranate.
- If pomegranates are not in season, you may not be able to find them in the grocery store. In this case, you could try replacing them with dried cranberries. Fresh blueberries have been recommended to me, but I haven’t tried that yet. You could also leave the fruit out all together and add a tablespoon of pomegranate juice to the dressing, or an extra tablespoon of honey for added sweetness!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 0 minutes
- Category: 30 Minutes or Less, Salads, Side Dishes, Vegetarian
- Method: No Cooking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: broccoli pomegranate salad recipe, easy broccoli salad recipe, broccoli salad, broccoli salad dressing, raw broccoli salad, healthy broccoli salad, original broccoli salad recipe, light and easy broccoli salad recipe, vegetarian broccoli salad, vegan broccoli salad, vegan broccoli salad, cold broccoli salad, broccoli salad keto, easy thanksgiving sides, top 10 thanksgiving sides, unique thanksgiving sides, thanksgiving side dishes make ahead, new thanksgiving sides, fun thanksgiving sides, thanksgiving sides for 2, thanksgiving 2022, thanksgiving side dishes, thanksgiving dinner, thanksgiving food ideas, thanksgiving dishes list, healthiest thanksgiving dishes, vegan thanksgiving dishes, vegan thanksgiving sides, vegetarian thanksgiving dishes, vegetarian thanksgiving sides, vegan thanksgiving menu, best vegan thanksgiving recipes, vegan dressing thanksgiving, Christmas recipes vegetarian, easy Christmas recipes, delicious Christmas recipes, delicious Thanksgiving recipes, Christmas dish, Christmas side dishes from around the world, Christmas side dishes that travel well, Christmas vegetable recipes, holiday side dishes, elegant Christmas side dishes, vegetable side dishes, easy side dishes, vegetarian side dishes, vegan side dishes, healthy side dishes, side dishes recipes, side dishes to impress, simple broccoli recipes, broccoli side dish recipes, vegerarian broccoli recipes, pomegranate salad recipes, pomegranate recipes, pomegranate recipes vegetarian, walnut recipes healthy, easy walnut recipes, walnut recipes vegan, walnut recipes vegetarian, vegetarian salad recipes, vegan salad recipes, easy salad recipes, side salad recipes, easy salads for parties, best salad ever, unusual salads for bbq